The Liebster Award is given to new bloggers who have less than 600 followers. It’s a fun way to connect with other bloggers and to help spread the word about newer blogs.
- Thank the blogger who nominated you
- Answer their questions
- Nominate 10 other travel bloggers who have less than 600 followers
- Ask them 10 questions of your own
Thanks so much to Leah from The Mochilera Diaries for the nomination!
1. Do the people in your life support your travel lifestyle, or do they think you’re crazy?
I’m lucky that my friends and family are supportive of my travel lifestyle, but I’ve also had the odd person tell me that I’m crazy!
2. What’s the first thing you do when arriving in a new city?
I usually grab a map and just wander aimlessly. I love walking down side streets, admiring the architecture, and discovering cafes and restaurants as I try to orient myself in a new city.
3. What’s the strangest thing you’ve [knowingly] eaten?
Years ago I tried ostrich at a local food festival. I think it was similar to beef, but I honestly can’t remember!
4. Is there any place you’ve been that you’re dying to return to?
Too many places! Melbourne, Edinburgh, Ho Chi Minh City, London, Bangkok… I’ll stop now.
5. Do you stick to a strict budget or do you take each day as it comes?
I usually try to stick to a budget when I’m traveling. I wouldn’t necessarily call it a ‘strict budget’, though, since I generally tend to spend more than I intend.
6. What’s the scariest situation you’ve ever found yourself in?
Almost walking right into a hippo on a bush walk in South Africa! We were walking toward a bush and heard loud grunting noises as we approached, but we couldn’t see what was making the noise. Our guide frantically motioned for us to be quiet and to hide behind a nearby tree. He cocked his gun and aimed it at the hippo and I had no idea what was going to happen. Luckily, the hippo wasn’t too interested in us, and continued on his way- in the opposite direction of our group.
7. If you had to live outside of your home country, where would it be?
Edinburgh, Scotland. Or just about anywhere in Australia.
8. Tell us about one incredible experience you’ll be telling your grandchildren one day.
Cage diving and coming face to face with a Great White Shark is one of my favourite travel experiences.
9. How many countries have you visited? Do you have a favorite?
I’ve visited 22 countries and I can’t choose just one favourite! A few of my favourites are Vietnam, Australia, Thailand, and South Africa.
10. What would you say to convince someone who’s considering long-term travel to give it a go?
I would say just go for it! I know it’s easier said than done, but the more time you spend contemplating or worrying about the decision to travel long-term, the more likely it won’t happen. You have to take a leap of faith and trust that everything will work out in your favour. I can guarantee that you will never regret making that decision.
Thanks again for the nomination and for the fun questions, Leah!
My 10 Questions:
1) What is your dream destination?
2) Is there a particular destination/place that was not what you expected?
3) What has been your favourite travel experience so far?
4) What is the story behind the name of your blog?
5) Is there a country that you would NOT visit? Why?
6) What is the funniest/most embarrassing thing that’s happened to you on the road?
7) Is there a destination that completely exceeded your expectations?
8) What would you say is the worst thing about traveling?
9) If money were no object, what bucket list item would you choose to do?
10) Which celebrity/hero/inspirational person would you love to travel with?
My nominations are:
Gasper and Marusa – 2 Tickets to Wonderland
Kate – A Wayfaring Canuck
Wandering Canadian Girl
Merel – Merel on the Move
Life in Another Hemisphere
The Adventures of a Wandering Kiwi
Karen – Single Woman Travels
Veronika – Globeetrootter
Kate – Kate Dana
The Hibiscus Traveller